Panko Crusted Buttermilk Chicken



I am getting lazy in cooking these days since lately I have been addicted to the ready-made meals in Loblaw. I love and hate that super huge Loblaw around the corner, 3 minute walking distance away from my home. Every time I plan to go there simply to get some ingredients to make my dinner, I end up buying their ready-made stuff instead, e.g. pizza, roasted potatoes, salad, soup, pastries, cupcakes, bread etc. Plus, their yogurt granola is the best in town. They are really hard to resist.

Anyhow, I have to use up the chicken breast and buttermilk I bought earlier this week still. This “fried” buttermilk chicken is not fried, totally diet-friendly. As the chicken breast is marinated with the buttermilk overnight, the buttermilk helps making the chicken tender and juicy.

My first attempt:
Recipes adopted from dlyn, chicken is breaded with bread crumbs.
Results:
1) Bread crumbs easy to fall off
2) Not crispy at all
3) I have added spices like thymes and parsley, and I don’t like them in my buttermilk chicken.

My second attempt: (Success!)
Results:
1) Panko crumbs did not fall off
2) Crispy
3) Tasty!

Ingredients
Yield: 2 servings

2 chicken breasts
1/2 cup buttermilk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of panko crumbs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon of chili flakes

Directions:

1) In a flat shallow dish (ideally a pie dish), combine and buttermilk and salt and pepper.

2) Pound the chicken breasts with a rolling pin, to an even thickness. This is how it looks like after pounding.

3) Place the chicken breast in the buttermilk mixture. Put in the fridge for overnight. (At the first time, I took it out after 2 hours. Second time, I put them in the fridge for 2 nights. The chicken did taste better the second time.)

4) In a flat shallow dish, combine the rest of the ingredients. Coat the chicken breast with the panko crumb mixture. When you take out the chicken breast, leave the buttermilk on there; do not need to rub it off.

5) Preheat oven to 400 C. Spray the baking pan with oil. Place the chicken on the baking sheet and spray oil on the top of the chicken again. Bake for 12 minutes on one side, then turn and bake for another 8- 12 minutes, until golden. 

ENJOY!!


1 comments:

  1. I looove making chicken like this--it's always tasty and doesn't make you feel too guilty!

    ReplyDelete